Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Julio Teheran Trade Thread...
With his sudden resurgence, I have gone full circle on Teheran.  Here’s where I am:

1.   We don’t have to deal him.  He’s on his way to re-establishing himself as a #1 starter, and he’s dirt cheap.  I would love for him to finish his career with Atlanta...he’s played for us since he was 16.  He’s been a Brave for 1/3 of his life.

2.   I’m open to dealing him, but it will now require more than what we got for Shelby Miller to acquire him (we got a 3-4 WAR big leaguer in year 2, a consensus top-15 offensive prospect in all of baseball, and a consensus top-50 pitching prospect). 

3.   Any prospect we get back does NOT need to fill an immediate need for us.  For instance, we have no use for Gleyber Torres but other teams do.  It makes sense to get him with the intention of using him to make further trades for impact offense.  Top 15 prospects have definite value.

4.   We have multiple pitchers in our system with higher ceilings than him.  His loss hurts in the short term, but can be overcome by these youngsters in the longterm.

5.   It makes sense to package him and Vizcaino together for certain teams (e.g. the Red Sox).  I’ll make two proposals for those teams, one with Viz and one without.

6.   In these proposals, I don’t really care if the other teams would do it…If they want Teheran – whom we now have absolutely no reason to trade – they have to pony up or hit the road.

So who needs Teheran, is motivated to make such a move, and has the farm system to trade for him? In no particular order: the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, Rangers, and Cubs.

Who needs Teheran, has the pieces, but are non-starters? The Nationals and Phillies.
Although just for fun…Robles and Giolito for Teheran would be fantastic.

So the deals I would consider, in my order of preference:

With the Red Sox…
Braves get: Yoan Moncada, Blake Swihart, and Anthony Benintendi
Red Sox get: Julio Teheran and Arodys Vizcaino
-or-
Braves get: Andrew Benintendi, Blake Swihart, and Anderson Espinosa
Red Sox get: Julio Teheran and Olivera
-or-
Braves get: Yoan Moncada and Andrew Benintendi
Red Sox get: Julio Teheran

Sidebar: http://www.csnne.com/video/merloni-pitch...e-deadline

With the Astros…
Braves get: Alex Bregman, Kyle Tucker, and Derek Fisher
Astros get: Julio Teheran and Hector Olivera
-or-
Braves get: Alex Bregman, Kyle Tucker, Derek Fisher, and JD Davis
Astros get: Julio Teheran, Hector Olivera, and Arodis Vizcaino
-or-
Braves get: Alex Bregman, David Paulino, and George Springer
Astros get: Julio Teheran, Hector Olivera, Ender Inciarte, and Arodis Vizcaino

With the Dodgers…
Braves get: Corey Seager and Austin Barnes
Dodgers get: Julio Teheran, Arodis Vizcaino, and Hector Olivera (HA!)

With the Rangers…
Braves get: Joey Gallo (or Nomar Mazara), Lewis Brinson, and Jurickson Profar
Rangers get: Julio Teheran

With the Cubs…
Braves get: Gleyber Torres, Jorge Soler, Willson Contreras, and Kyle HendrIcks
Cubs get: Julio Teheran
Follow-up trade: Torres and Contreras for a permanent solution at C.  Maybe Torres, Contreras, and Olivera for Braun and Lucroy (+ extension).

With the Yankees…
Braves get: Jorge Matteo, Luis Severino, Gary Sanchez, and James Kaprielian
Yankees get: Julio Teheran
Follow-up trade: Matteo, Touki, Hector Olivera, and Inciarte for Bregman and Carlos Gomez (salary relief for Astros; we’d flip Gomez)

-------------

I'm curious what everyone thinks.  At what price would you trade Teheran?  What do you think of my fake trade requirements (please don't comment on how one-sided they are.  I already realize this.)?
Yea I'd have to be completely blown away to trade Teheran. It's hard to really get into what packages of players it would take but most of those would do it. With that said I have zero interest in Soler being a big part of any trade from the Cubs.
First thought..We need to keep him
2nd thought..if we deal tran don't water down the return by including hector..we aren't paying anyone. Just give him his 28 million and send him away on his shaggin wagon.
(05-25-2016, 11:25 AM)Tmac13 Wrote: First thought..We need to keep him
2nd thought..if we deal tran don't water down the return by including hector..we aren't paying anyone. Just give him his 28 million and send him away on his shaggin wagon.

I agree on both points. Olivera's contract sucks but it's only 6 million a year and there's still always a chance he could come back and be a productive player. Even if that means he becomes a bench bat with positional flexibility. Crappy sure but not worth taking a smaller return to dump
(05-25-2016, 11:25 AM)Tmac13 Wrote: First thought..We need to keep him

I don't think those trade are watered down.  You negotiate the ridiculous return, then tell teams that they are taking on Olivera too (Olivera, coincidentally, fills a position of need for the Astros and Dodgers).
(05-25-2016, 11:29 AM)JMUBraves Wrote: I don't think those trade are watered down.  You negotiate the ridiculous return, then tell teams that they are taking on Olivera too (Olivera, coincidentally, fills a position of need for the Astros and Dodgers).

I'm sure it's exactly that easy
Max Ramirez sucks too
(05-25-2016, 11:32 AM)Bob Wickman Wrote: I'm sure it's exactly that easy

It's not.  But we hold all the power.  We have the 25 year old pitching like the best starter on the planet, signed to the best contract in MLB.
(05-25-2016, 11:29 AM)JMUBraves Wrote: I don't think those trade are watered down.  You negotiate the ridiculous return, then tell teams that they are taking on Olivera too (Olivera, coincidentally, fills a position of need for the Astros and Dodgers).

The dodgers already have their Cuban that roughs up the ladies...In seriousness, what would Olivera do for either team. I don't see a need..
(05-25-2016, 11:28 AM)zcarter85 Wrote: I agree on both points. Olivera's contract sucks but it's only 6 million a year and there's still always a chance he could come back and be a productive player. Even if that means he becomes a bench bat with positional flexibility. Crappy sure but not worth taking a smaller return to dump

You Bring Olivera back, option him to AAA, and hope he performs well enough to be fools gold for someone else. No reason to have him on the MLB roster ever again.
(05-25-2016, 11:18 AM)JMUBraves Wrote: With his sudden resurgence, I have gone full circle on Teheran.  Here’s where I am:

4.   We have multiple pitchers in our system with higher ceilings than him.  His loss hurts in the short term, but can be overcome by these youngsters in the longterm.

They have to actually get to MLB and do it. T-Ran will not be replaced easily.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Brian Snitker is an idiot thread Notorious D 14 224 25 minutes ago
Last Post: gobraves
  Should teheran plunk bautista? msubrave 35 666 05-18-2017, 08:28 PM
Last Post: ScoobyDoo2
  We should trade for Harvey AaronK 32 691 05-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Last Post: FloBrave01
  The Unfortunate, but now annual, looks like we suck again thread... Tmac13 363 6,397 05-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Last Post: rtrafford
  The "Overreaction to Yesterday's Game" Thread Tmac13 100 2,802 05-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Last Post: JMUBraves
  Would you trade msubrave 24 977 04-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Last Post: biggentleben
  Daily argument thread Tmac13 30 901 04-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Last Post: malak05
  Big Sexy Love Thread bama_braves_fan 13 409 04-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Last Post: bama_braves_fan
  Hot Stove Thread AaronK 1,348 55,641 03-29-2017, 04:58 PM
Last Post: hawesg
  Julio's hair warning.track.power 2 568 02-28-2017, 11:46 AM
Last Post: bama_braves_fan