Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2016 Rolling Discussion...
Well this could be a game changer...  Getting ANOTHER elite lefty starter prospect?

Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN  7m7 minutes ago

Max Fried in his first live game in 18 months since Tommy John surgery just punched out 5 of the first 6 hitters he faced with ++ CB #Braves
Not entirely surprising. I just had a chat with a couple of guys in minor league camp who said he's really got his feel back, and they took their time for that reason. He most likely won't have the same year one - velocity returns but control doesn't, year two - everything back sort of path. I'd still imagine he'll be at one of the A-ball affiliates to open the season, most likely Rome with a quick move up to Carolina.
Minor League Coordinator at TomahawkTake.com

2019, baby!
(03-18-2016, 12:53 PM)biggentleben Wrote: Not entirely surprising. I just had a chat with a couple of guys in minor league camp who said he's really got his feel back, and they took their time for that reason. He most likely won't have the same year one - velocity returns but control doesn't, year two - everything back sort of path. I'd still imagine he'll be at one of the A-ball affiliates to open the season, most likely Rome with a quick move up to Carolina.

Do they have space for him in Rome?  Allard, Soroka, Grosser, Touki, and Sanchez are already there.  Could he start in Carolina out of necessity?
(03-18-2016, 12:58 PM)JMUBraves Wrote: Do they have space for him in Rome?  Allard, Soroka, Grosser, Touki, and Sanchez are already there.  Could he start in Carolina out of necessity?

I'd not write in Allard or Grosser into the Rome rotation at this point. Allard has faced a total of 20 batters for the GCL squad. He's not even faced the advanced rookie level yet. I'd wager he starts at extended spring and then moves to Danville and up from there. It's certainly possible that it's Fried's spot he takes when Fried moves to Carolina.

2019, baby!
(03-18-2016, 01:39 PM)biggentleben Wrote: I'd not write in Allard or Grosser into the Rome rotation at this point. Allard has faced a total of 20 batters for the GCL squad. He's not even faced the advanced rookie level yet. I'd wager he starts at extended spring and then moves to Danville and up from there. It's certainly possible that it's Fried's spot he takes when Fried moves to Carolina.

I think that timeline makes a lot of sense - Allard moves to Rome when Fried moves to Carolina in May or June.
https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/711282874184556545

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/711327024518975493

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/711346579698032640
Honestly, not as good as the Max Fried curve yesterday, but it could be a lefty/righty effect.

2019, baby!
One of the guys he made look foolish today was Austin Riley...Touki is basically the perfect guy that Riley would struggle with based on his last season - hard, moving fastball along with incredible movement on his breaking pitch. That combination got Riley lunging and guessing last season.

2019, baby!
So Ben, how do you rank the system's top 4 curveballs? I think they belong to Fried, Allard, Touki, and Newcomb.

I'd go: Touki, Allard, Fried, Newcomb. I think they're all 65+.
At top form, Sims is in the top 4.

The Braves have two real different types of curves in the system - the big, loopy curves like Fried, Allard, and Touki throw, and then the hard, sharp curves like Sims, John Gant, and Jenkins. Jenkins has the most effective one in getting weak contact in games I saw. It was his go-to pitch to induce a double play ball when he needed one.

2019, baby!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2017 Rolling Discussion Hotlanta9986 500 8,874 6 hours ago
Last Post: bama_braves_fan
  2015 Rolling MiLB Discussion JHump 13 4,012 12-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Last Post: biggentleben