Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How long do you go
(05-16-2017, 03:48 PM)biggentleben Wrote: If the average fan read more than just the name when that comp was given, they'd understand. Scouts giving that comp all gave it for the same reason. It was picked up by "the average moron" because those with respected voices had made that comp. None of it was about his offense.

Why give a comp if the comp is not a comp?  Can you please comp me for reading that?
The effect we are witnessing is called "back pedaling"
(05-16-2017, 05:23 PM)rtrafford Wrote: Why give a comp if the comp is not a comp?  Can you please comp me for reading that?

It is a comparison. There is no such thing as a player who is 100% the same as another player. I always take care to explain my comps in my scouting reports and why I chose the comp I did. 

This is from my scouting report on him this spring:

Quote:The big thing that makes me draw the Jeter comparison with Swanson is the way they carry themselves on the field.

As much as I wanted to dislike Jeter during his playing career, one of the things I always admired about him is that he absolutely commanded the field he was on, quarterbacking the team from his position.

Swanson so naturally does exactly that. I was struck in his first week after being promoted to Mississippi when he took the ball after a strikeout and walked the entire infield to the mound after a couple of balls were kicked around by the infield. It was as natural as if he’d been there from opening day. He then did something similar within his first week at the big league level.

There is also the tremendous innate instinct for the game that’s just not measurable that Swanson has and Jeter had as well. Both knew/know when to be in a weird positioning, as indicated by a play in Mississippi where he tracked to a spot that ended up being perfect to intercept Connor Lien‘s attempted throw home, wheel and nail the trail runner at third in time to get the third out before the lead runner got home.

When you hear the Jeter comp so frequently, it does begin to sound lazy and “easy” to just pile on that same comp, but if you do the digging, there’s significant legitimacy to that comparison.

http://tomahawktake.com/2017/02/06/atlan...y-swanson/
Minor League Coordinator at TomahawkTake.com

2019, baby!
If drawing a comparison, there needs to be a strong resemblance in some manner outside of the color of the shoe laces. I mean Andruw compares to Mays...I get that. Kershaw compares to Kofax...My arms reach around that, fine. Dansby to Jeter? I mean, why bother and why mislead? Dansby would be fortunate to compare with Blauser. I wouldn't reach to comparing with Jeter. Might as well compare Hessman to Aaron, Henry.

But you're the writer.
(05-16-2017, 08:21 PM)rtrafford Wrote: If drawing a comparison, there needs to be a strong resemblance in some manner outside of the color of the shoe laces.  I mean Andruw compares to Mays...I get that.  Kershaw compares to Kofax...My arms reach around that, fine.  Dansby to Jeter?  I mean, why bother and why mislead?  Dansby would be fortunate to compare with Blauser.  I wouldn't reach to comparing with Jeter.  Might as well compare Hessman to Aaron, Henry.

But you're the writer.

If Hessman's swing was a mirror image of Hank's, you might have something. I explained exactly why the comparison was made. There are some offensive similarities, but the stronger comparison is on the defensive and persona side of things with the two.

I still think the comparison is valid, for what it's worth.

2019, baby!
(05-16-2017, 09:38 PM)biggentleben Wrote: If Hessman's swing was a mirror image of Hank's, you might have something. I explained exactly why the comparison was made. There are some offensive similarities, but the stronger comparison is on the defensive and persona side of things with the two.

I still think the comparison is valid, for what it's worth.
I think there has been a whole lot of overreaction on him so far. He may not be Jeter but he still likely becomes a solid ML regular.
(05-16-2017, 09:39 PM)AaronK Wrote: I think there has been a whole lot of overreaction on him so far. He may not be Jeter but he still likely becomes a solid ML regular.

The point of a comp is never a 1-for-1 thing. It's in the type of player. Frankly, a guy like Glavine has had a few guys who were legit comps to him (more have been comped to him that weren't legit, but a few were), and only 1-2 guys with Glavine's skill set have Glavine's career. Likewise, there are guys like Jeter who never have had the career that Jeter did, or their career was never as highly regarded as Jeter's was. I don't truly see a huge difference in Biggio and Jeter (their primary WAR differences have to do with 2B vs. SS), but Yankees vs. Astros creates a big difference. Jeter happened to play shortstop and physically is also a comparable for Swanson, so there's more match there than Biggio.

2019, baby!
I always assumed the Jeter-Swanson thing was about his marketability as a player. He was a "leader"; he's telegenic; he's "nice".

He will be a top-5 offensive player at SS once he gets his feet under him. He will make the plays he need to make. Whether he's an elite defensive SS? I don't know. Let's ask Simmons.
Idk about top 5 because offense at SS is pretty good today, but if it translates his bat should be above average compared to the typical SS.

For the most part his abs have been much better for a while now but the k rate is a huge red flag. Its not better even in this period. He needs to drop it to at least 18% or its just not going to work with him. Maybe he does...in upcoming years.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long and for how much $ would you sign Dansby today? Tthetank55 10 603 12-21-2016, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Tthetank55
  This is going to be a long year... JMUBraves 26 2,041 05-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Last Post: BravesFTW
  How long until changes AaronK 110 6,825 05-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Last Post: hawesg