Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 breakout and bust prospects!
Here are my predictions! I hope they all breakout, but that's rarely the case with prospects. It's usually break or bust! I got this idea from a friend, so enjoy!

Biggest breakout season:

Mallex Smith: I'm not sure you can call a season with an average over .290 with anything less than a solid season, but I think he will have a huge impact in the upcoming year. I like his skill set and I feel his glove catches up to his already incredible speed. 

Kolby Allard: He's the player I'm most excited about in our system. His professional stint was really short, but his makeup, repertoire and velocity is just so good. The thought of a Teheran, Allard, Newcomb-led rotation (depends on Teheran) in the future is beyond exciting!

Austin Riley: This dude is going to have a monster season, I can feel it. He was excellent last year, so I don't think anyone is discounting what he can do. But I think he destroy the ball. His high swing percentage is a little scary, but he seems to have excellent pitch recognition. If he can keep the walk-rate up, we could have a Dan Uggla (FLORIDA MARLINS) type of guy.

Honorable mentions: Swanson, Sims, Albies.

Bust season:

Tyrell Jenkins: I like his stuff, but his K/BB scares me. I think he will start well, but hitters begin to figure him out.

Touki Toussaint: I'm praying I'm wrong here. I think I very well could be, but this is a predictions thread and I have to give a devil's advocate view to everything. I think as talented as he is, his numbers scare the hell out of me. It could be his numbers arrived where they are because he hasn't been able to use every pitch, or he could be learning. Maybe he's just not very good. I guess we will see! (Please be good)

Rio Ruiz: One of the darlings of the Gattis trade, I was really hopeful he could be the man owning the hot corner for years to come, but Riley had a woeful season last year. I know one season isn't fully indicative, but watching him, his swing was weak and he hit more grounders to the side than I ever want to see in the majors from one of our players.
Breakout: Wisler, Peterson, Smith, Sims

Wont be Bust but wont be what the Braves wanted or really what they needed: Olivera

Bust: Perez, Garcia(Glove will be too tough to overcome and power will come back down to earth),
(02-12-2016, 02:24 PM)AaronK Wrote: Breakout: Wisler, Peterson, Smith, Sims

Wont be Bust but wont be what the Braves wanted or really what they needed: Olivera

Bust: Perez, Garcia(Glove will be too tough to overcome and power will come back down to earth),

I personally only did prospects, but if we do included on the team now then...

Breakout: Wisler, J. Peterson, Inciarte (cause he's new for us! lol)

Bust: Garcia, Olivera (not his bat, but his defense in LF will be terrible)
(02-12-2016, 02:31 PM)UNCBlue012 Wrote: I personally only did prospects, but if we do included on the team now then...

Breakout: Wisler, J. Peterson, Inciarte (cause he's new for us! lol)

Bust: Garcia, Olivera (not his bat, but his defense in LF will be terrible)

I have only seen Mallex Smith live in action. I hope to catch several Gwinnett games this year which is only 20 miles from my house across 20.
(02-12-2016, 02:20 PM)UNCBlue012 Wrote: Here are my predictions! I hope they all breakout, but that's rarely the case with prospects. It's usually break or bust! I got this idea from a friend, so enjoy!

Biggest breakout season:

Mallex Smith: I'm not sure you can call a season with an average over .290 with anything less than a solid season, but I think he will have a huge impact in the upcoming year. I like his skill set and I feel his glove catches up to his already incredible speed. 

Kolby Allard: He's the player I'm most excited about in our system. His professional stint was really short, but his makeup, repertoire and velocity is just so good. The thought of a Teheran, Allard, Newcomb-led rotation (depends on Teheran) in the future is beyond exciting!

Austin Riley: This dude is going to have a monster season, I can feel it. He was excellent last year, so I don't think anyone is discounting what he can do. But I think he destroy the ball. His high swing percentage is a little scary, but he seems to have excellent pitch recognition. If he can keep the walk-rate up, we could have a Dan Uggla (FLORIDA MARLINS) type of guy.

Honorable mentions: Swanson, Sims, Albies.

Bust season:

Tyrell Jenkins: I like his stuff, but his K/BB scares me. I think he will start well, but hitters begin to figure him out.

Touki Toussaint: I'm praying I'm wrong here. I think I very well could be, but this is a predictions thread and I have to give a devil's advocate view to everything. I think as talented as he is, his numbers scare the hell out of me. It could be his numbers arrived where they are because he hasn't been able to use every pitch, or he could be learning. Maybe he's just not very good. I guess we will see! (Please be good)

Rio Ruiz: One of the darlings of the Gattis trade, I was really hopeful he could be the man owning the hot corner for years to come, but Riley had a woeful season last year. I know one season isn't fully indicative, but watching him, his swing was weak and he hit more grounders to the side than I ever want to see in the majors from one of our players.

I don't want to be "that guy", but I'd look into Jenkins and Toussaint more. They're much, much more than their numbers only. Sanchez as well.
Minor League Coordinator at TomahawkTake.com

2019, baby!
(02-12-2016, 02:53 PM)biggentleben Wrote: I don't want to be "that guy", but I'd look into Jenkins and Toussaint more. They're much, much more than their numbers only. Sanchez as well.

Oh, I know. From everything I've read and even seen online, Toussaint's stuff is probably the best we have in our system. It's a case of building on that learning to "make pitch." I'm REALLY excited about him, but you just never know. Jenkins should be at the least a solid 3-5 guy.
(02-12-2016, 02:53 PM)biggentleben Wrote: I don't want to be "that guy", but I'd look into Jenkins and Toussaint more. They're much, much more than their numbers only. Sanchez as well.

Id say the same about Ruiz to a point. Change in leagues, young for AA, etc. Not that I think he will be Brooks Robinson but he could make strides.
(02-12-2016, 02:56 PM)AaronK Wrote: Id say the same about Ruiz to a point. Change in leagues, young for AA, etc. Not that I think he will be Brooks Robinson but he could make strides.

For a second I read Brooks Conrad and got all kinds of sad.
(02-12-2016, 02:58 PM)UNCBlue012 Wrote: For a second I read Brooks Conrad and got all kinds of sad.

lol. No not that Brooks
Breakouts:

Jenkins - returning from injury last season and getting his feel really back on his pitches. His stuff is just filthy. When he locates, he's untouchable. Adam Wainwright has said that the first full year back after major injury is when you get your arm strength back. The second full year back is when you get your location - that will be next year.

Sims - the AA starts and AFL starts all looked the same. They were tremendous.

Jon Morales - extremely solid offense and defensive skills behind the plate. He's the best catching prospect in the system, in my opinion.

Busts (and nobody will like 'em):

Mallex Smith - He resisted multiple attempts to work on his defensive routes last offseason. In doing scouting on him, I see the bat get knocked out of his hands way too much. Contact is great, but he can't drive it, and the defense definitely doesn't play at the MLB level currently, so he's really a speed only guy right now unless he makes the decision, like Bourn had to in his career, to become a better player in order to actually have a career.

Austin Riley and Isranel Wilson - Not saying they're going to flop, but I think they both have lateral years this year as they have very poor reports on their approach within at bats that simply won't play well going forward, even with their respective high-end power.

Connor Lien - While he had a successful 2015 offensively, his offensive game has a ton of holes to me. He has ridiculous defensive skills in the outfield, but his offensive game makes me think future pitcher, not actual hitter due to his tremendous arm.
Minor League Coordinator at TomahawkTake.com

2019, baby!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  you're gonna need some Proactive for this Foltynewicz Breakout bobbycoxy 7 356 04-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Last Post: ScoobyDoo2
  KLaw Ranks the Prospects hawesg 193 8,155 02-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Tmac13
  Top prospects hawesg 516 26,350 01-07-2017, 01:54 AM
Last Post: biggentleben
  Make America Tank Again 2016 Tthetank55 12 1,041 11-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Last Post: rtrafford
  Bleacher Report deems Fredward the best 1B of 2016 UNCBlue012 5 652 09-20-2016, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bama_braves_fan
  July 2, 2016 IFA Thread... JMUBraves 90 6,699 08-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Last Post: zcarter85
  Young Starting Pitchers having a Disappointing 2016 BravesBobbleHead 22 1,986 07-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Last Post: hawesg
  Food for Thought Regarding "Prospects" FloBrave01 19 1,695 07-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Last Post: biggentleben
  Official 2016 Rule IV MLB Draft Thread... JMUBraves 765 33,221 07-15-2016, 06:18 PM
Last Post: BravesFTW
  The Annual What Would Tank Do...July 2016 version Tthetank55 55 2,604 07-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Last Post: hawesg